*

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Saving $$ My Way



I need to tell you about a new favorite website of mine. It's called Appliance Parts Pros. You can go and enter the model number for any of your appliances and a picture comes up of all the parts of that appliance. You then click on the part that is broken and needs to be replaced and they ship it to you within 24 hours and it's cheaper than going through Sears or the appliance manufacturer.

So, our washing machine was broken...it just needed this little piece. So, I ordered it online and it came yesterday. I decided to fix it myself instead of asking Matt to work on it when he gets home. I thought it would be a quick fix...not so much.
To replace this small piece, I ended up having to take the entire shell of the machine off.

the trick is figuring out which screws do and don't need to come off to get the thing off.


here were some of the screws and my tools...I love using the DeWalt drill! so much fun!



At this point I began thinking, "Am I crazy to be doing this myself?...Will I remember which screw goes where?"
After about an hour and a half of work....
the part in its right place!! The machine all put back together

Woo HOO!!! I did it!!


the happy "Mrs. Fix It" with the most used tool for the job

And YES, it is actually working perfectly!!!!
I may not clip coupons but I like to think I just saved us some money by doing this job myself! I'm just so happy about it that I had to tell my blog friends!

23 comments:

Jessica said...

I am SO proud of you! Now, did you move that to the garage yourself? Matt would not approve of that would he? :)
That is a great site to know about, thanks for sharing it!
I know you saved yourself atleast $75 bucks just for a service call, not to mention the labor!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am so proud of you too! Not only for fixing your washer, but for posting more often lately! Good for you on both! -Heidi

Anonymous said...

I have to say a huge thank you!!! I have had a broken dryer door for at least a year and have been blocking it shut with the hamper!! I had no idea where to find the part I need and it was just a tiny lil catch was all! After reading your post I immediately ordered my part for only $3!!

I too love fixing things! I love using my little power drill! Kirk comes home and just rolls his eyes as I am busy reassembling something or putting together a bookcase. Hope you don't mind I read your blog!
- Wendy (Hodel) Prather

Anonymous said...

Look at you girl! Way to go! I am completely impressed!!!!

Mindy said...

HOLY COW!!! You are amazing! I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to fix something like that. Props to you my friend! In the future I'll remember to just call "Mrs. Fix it" to help me in my distress!

Rebekah said...

Wendy,
I am so happy that this helped you out! I feel like we have a bond knowing that you like to tinker at things too! And of course I don't mind you reading my blog...I'm honored that you'd take the time to read it.

And thanks to all the nice comments girlfriends! You would all have been able to do it too!

Love ya.

Tami said...

I have a confession to make...I 'happened upon' Bek while she was in the midst of disassembling her washer. She told me what she was doing, and I have to admit thinking, "Crazy girl! There's no way she's going to fix that washer!" I was put to shame when she called me a couple hours later to let me know that it was fixed! Sorry for not believing. :)

- Doubting Thomas...err, I mean Tami

Janet said...

You are my hero! Way to go!

Brooke said...

OH my goodness! That is above and beyond... I don't think the Prov. 31 woman even went near repairs, did she? You are AMAZING! We've been having problems with our washer if you're free!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Rebekah, i am so proud of you!! i am so un-mechanical, that normally i don't go a step towards fixing things like that, so i am quite impressed! However, i did read a couple manuals lately when i had a problem and actually came up with a result or two. i felt like i had a PHD in mechanics for a second or two. it was fun :-)

By the way! Hope your birthday was special.

Luke said...

Ok...I've had the pleasure of taking apart a dryer in much the same manner. I've got to say, it was not an easy task. There are a ton of screws to remove and, like you said, some of them need removed and some don't. I'm really impressed that you did the whole thing yourself.

But, I think I'm more impressed that you actually wanted to do it, than that you could do it.

Kudos to you.

Mrs. Hany said...

I am so super proud of you!! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rebekah! What an accomplishment! I bet Matt was pleased when he got home. Did you move that washer? I am so weak. I could never have budged it.
I'm proud of you too.--Mom K.

Leslie Ringger said...

you're amazing!

it has always been a dream of mine to be an all around fix-it girl, so while i am inspired with great pride and awe, i would be lying if i didn't admit there's a fair amount of jealousy mixed in there too!

Kristy said...

Wow, I am SO impressed! What a feeling of accomplishment. I'm putting that website as a favorite because it sounds like a really good thing to keep in mind.

Jami said...

You are THE women Rebekah! I'm incredibly impressed!!!!!

megs @ whadusay said...

Oh my word - my respect for you just went to a whole nother level. I am very very impressed and feel the urge to go brag to Kory about you. Not sure why, I just do! :)

Jane said...

Rebekah,
I only know one other woman like you when it comes to doing repairs at that level. I'm so thoroughly impressed, but I am torn about whether to share this with my husband or not. I personally like the set up we have, and I don't want any new expectations--not that he could possibly imagine me doing such a thing. I have really enjoyed reading your blog the last couple of months. You are a very gifted young lady, just like your mom.

Anonymous said...

Well you are officially more manly that me. Sometimes I can't even figure how the wash machine works. Let alone come even close to fixing it.

arlan and katie said...

Good for you Becs! I am SO proud of you...how inspiring to us all "Ms. Fix-its" out there :)

Jill said...

Somehow, I am not surprised. I remember some nice Inoue girl's coming and helping me clean out Andy & my first apartment. You all helped me dig a mouse out of the back of the stove without too much screaming and then installed a light fixture! I am still amazed!!! So the wash machine is just added to your list :-) Awesome job!!

Kristy said...

all I can say is........YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Anonymous said...

Appliance Parts Pros is my favorite too... Recently, I bought replacement part from here for my dishwasher...