*

Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Five



I thought I'd start a new post "tradition"...the Friday Five.

Most of the time, it will probably be five favorite things...but sometimes it won't...just to make it easier on myself I guess.

So, for today, it's FIVE of my FAVORITE MUSICALS (Thisis hard since I love musicals. But these are the ones that are kind of nostalgic because I either grew up watching them or listening to them all through college.)

My All-time favorite is "Les Miserables". Gorgeous score...amazing story of forgiveness...it's the best! Here's a clip to get a taste of it. This is from the 10th Anniversary concert...that's why they're standing at microphones instead of acting.




Anothter Favorite: "Fiddler on the Roof". I grew up watching this one. A great story about a small Jewish community and specifically a family and how they try to follow their traditions while living life as it changes. Great music and great acting. A taste here:




My next favorite is "Singin' in the Rain". A hilarious story of hollywood when silent movies became "talkies". Dealing with beautiful silent movie actresses with very ugly voices. Unfortunately, Youtube won't let me embed any of the scenes. So you'd just have to go see it on Youtube yourself. Look up "Moses Supposes"...my favorite tapdancing song!

The next was one of the first musicals I saw as a kid. "Mary Poppins". This is still my favorite scene in the movie because I wish so many times that I had this "talent". I have always said if I could have any super power it would be snapping my fingers and getting things done!




And lastly, I have to mention "Newsies". Ahh...all the good memories this one brings back! Many a slumber party with my friends singing the songs at the top of our lungs. It's kind of cheesy but a fun show about the news boys' strike back in the day. here is the opening number

6 comments:

Mama Runner said...

I say that what you say is what I say! Love Newsies!

Brooke said...

What a fun post! I love showtunes! Newsies and Les Mis especially... the power of ALL those voices at one time just blows me away every time.

smw said...

SUCH fun memories. :) just makes me smile.

Heidi said...

When you said fav. musicals, I thought of all of these, except for Newsies. I can't believe I forgot that one!

Amanda said...

Ahhh... Chelby introduced me to the joys of "Newsies". Good ol' Young Group days!

Anonymous said...

I would never have been introduced to the world of musicals if it hadnt been for the three of you and your mom. I love them still to this day. My favorite being Phantom of the Opera and Wicked.
Thanks for sharing.
Sunita