When I was about 6 or 7 years old, my sisters and I went to a birthday party at my cousin, Tara's house. At the slumber party, we watched a video called "Too Smart for Strangers with Winnie the Pooh". This will probably sound crazy, but this video had a big impact on my sisters and me. It was a video that dealt with safety around strangers and how we should protect ourselves. Sounds scary right? But it was done in such a non-threatening way and with fun songs and the familiar characters of Winnie the Pooh and his friends that it became one of our favorite videos.
The reason it had a big impact on our lives is that we learned and remembered these strategies and while living in Japan, my little sister Tami with God's protection used the skills she learned in the video to avoid a kidnapper. Sounds over dramatic until you know that the guy was apprehended and she had to go identify him at the police station.
Another time, we had a very creepy experience with a strange man in a park and because of this video, we knew what we should do.
So, when I became a mom, I wanted to find this video. My library used to have it but they don't anymore. It's also impossible to find on DVD. So, I was thrilled when I found it on You Tube! I watched it with my kids recently and I was again so impressed with how well they handle this very serious and delicate subject. I HIGHLY recommend sitting down with your little ones and watching this video.
Even though it was made in the mid-80s, it's still extremely relevant to today. It was a great way to be able to talk about what can be a scary topic with kids without scaring them.
Hopefully, your kids will never need to actually use the skills taught in this video...but it doesn't hurt to teach them! Hope you enjoy it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
thanks for this great tip!!
ok, is it bad to admit that i just watched this entire video? (and i don't even have kids)...my favorite part: silly fish.
:)
this is really adorable and incredibly cheesy. my favorite.
So many memories! Oliver and I sat and watched it. He was very enthralled.
Post a Comment