*

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Doughnuts!!



Recently, I read the story of Homer Price and his uncle's doughnut machine to Josh. He loved the picture of the machine and the story of the hundreds of doughnuts that it made. After that he asked me if we could make doughnuts. I told him we'd need to buy a doughnut cutter and then we could.



So, this week when we were at the grocery store we looked for one and couldn't find one anywhere. He was so disappointed and when we got home he ran and got the book and showed me this picture and asked if this is what a "doughnut cutter" looked like. I said, "Oh, Josh. I'm afraid you are going to be very disapointed. A doughnut cutter is only about the size of my hand. That is a doughnut making machine." He did look disapointed. But he was still determined that we should find a doughnut cutter and make our own doughnuts.

So, finally I found one and then we made doughnuts together when Matt had a meeting the other night. I took pictures of the process to remember our first experience of making doughnuts.


First, heat the oil to 375


In a bowl put in the flour...


salt...


baking powder and baking soda...


and ground nutmeg.

In another bowl combine the buttermilk, melted butter, egg and apple cider. I actually didn't have any apple cider so I replaced it with orange juice...it still tasted good.


wisk together the wet ingredients and add vanilla.


Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir.


Put the dough on a floured surface and knead until all the ingredients are mixed well.



Flaten into a disc about 1 inch thick
Flour your trusty doughnut cutter


And cut your doughnuts


Add the doughnut to the hot oil


Let them brown on one side for about a minute or until browned.


Flip over



And while I was busy doing that I didn't realize that Aria was eating my flour.


Drain the doughnuts


Mix the sugar and cinnamon


Put the cinnamon/sugar mixture in a paper bag. Add the doughnuts to the bag and shake to coat.


Enjoy the warm doughnuts! Yum!

They were good doughnuts...not Krispy Kreme quality mind you...but yummy nontheless!


Here is the recipe:


CINNAMON-SUGAR DOUGHNUTS


Vegetable oil for frying (I used canola)

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg

1 large egg

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup apple cider

2 Tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Makes about 13 doughnuts and holes


Enjoy!


-Bek


9 comments:

Mama Runner said...

Sounds yummy! You're ambitious.

smw said...

i JUST saw a picture of homemade doughnuts in a magazine and wanted to make them. haven't done it yet, and i didn't think of the doughnut cutter. :)

i'm going to have to get that book and read it to my kids. it sounds familiar, but i forget the story line.

Jill said...

What a fun mom! Yummy :-)

jessica leman said...

That is so much fun! Can I ask...where did you get the doughnut cutter? Good job capturing a fun memory!

Rebekah said...

Jessica,
I got the doughnut cutter at the kitchen store in the mall. But I'm sure you could probably find one at Bed Bath and Beyond or any kitchen store.

Kristy said...

Homer Price is my favorite kids' chapter-type book. I just think it's so funny!!!! Cute idea- looks like great fun.

Amanda said...

What a fabulous activity! Looks like you guys had fun!

P.S. Your kids are SO adorable!

Tami said...

homer price?!?! it's like hearing about an old friend! yesterday when josh was saying how he loved the pooh-pooh clock, i was going to suggest he ask matt to make it for him until i realized matt's already got a pretty ambicious dream list of josh's to fill...didn't think i should add to it, no matter how fun it is for me! :)

Mindy said...

Those look SO good! We'll be expecting those next time you serve lunch at church. :)