*

Friday, November 05, 2010

Friday Five



It's time for the every other Friday Five!

Today's Five: The five things I spent my money on in highschool/college:

It's interesting the things we choose to spend our money on when we don't have a lot of responsibilities to pay for. In high school and college, when I had money to spend, this is usually what I spent it on.

1. Film and developing the film. This was probably pretty normal for girls in the late 90s early 2000s...before digital took over. I was extravagant and always got doubles. That was when we thought we needed to give our friends who were in the pictures their own copy. I remember my Mom having a fit about how wasteful it was to always get doubles and I could NOT understand her logic! Man, I wish I could let her see I have a little more sense now!



2. Toothbrushes. I was and still am kind of picky about the toothbrush I use. I'm not as picky as I used to be and actually, now I'm really happy because my dentist gave me a really nice electric toothbrush. But back in the day, I would browse the toothbrush aisle looking for the perfect toothbrush. This Oral B Cross action was my favorite! 3. CDs...and although I know a lot of people were buying CDs then, I think my selection probably varied a bit from most gals my age. Mine tended to be classical, jazz, soundtracks and adventures in odyssey. That's alright...you can say it, I was and still am a nerd.


4. Pens. I am still picky about the pen I like to write with. I am now more careful about how much they cost so I don't go buy them from the art drawing aisle at hobby stores anymore. Can you believe how extravagant I was. I even bought a kind for awhile that you refilled with a little bottle of ink. It used to drip and make such a mess...but I loved that it had the smallest point I could find! Once again...I was such an odd duck.


5. Books! I still love buying books. It doesn't mean I read them all...but I do just love them. I bought a lot of neat books in college and was in a monthly book buying prbogram where I was on track to buy the 100 classic books of all time from Easton Press. They are gorgeous, leather bound books with gold edging. I got the first 14...then I got married. And when Matt heard the price...$40/book/month...he gulped, smiled, and then suggested we might need to drop out of the club.



So, how about you? What did/do you spend money on when it's for fun?

8 comments:

bethany lane said...

In high school i always bought shoes, bottles of paint, animal crackers (in the big barrels), and magazines. Now that i'm in college i spend my money on tortilla chips, page protectors,frebreze, and the occasional trip to Starbucks! Thanks for the cute post!

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! I too am a fan of a nice pen...my favorite being the Pilot G-2. Always nice writing with a decent pen. I also love a good book but now tend to go to the library more and not spend so much money on them as I once did. I think my book allowance has turned into diaper allowannce for my sweet babes! I liked the part about how you had to drop out of your book club...too funny. Speaking of books...do you remembr the books that you girls had, that I spent a summer trying to read all of them. They were on bookshelf on the left side of the fireplace on the bottom shelf. What were they called? I would love to track those down and read them to Ethan. Thanks for the fun post!
Sunita

Rebekah said...

Bethany, it was fun to hear the things that you "splurge" on! thanks for stopping by!

Sunita,So fun to remember you working your way through our collection of "Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories". Those are still some of my favorites! I think you can find them on half.com (ebay's bookstore). I think the ones we had were printed in the 1960s.

Carmen said...

i went out to eat a lot. I can't believe how much I went out to eat when i didn't have any money. The ME from college makes the ME now look downright miserly!

Jessica said...

Fun post :) I used to spend $20 on a bottle of hairspray, shampoo or conditioner. Now I buy $2 suave :) I do miss that part of being single :)

Jill said...

Fun post! I think my weakness was clothes. From garage sales to Von Maur, they spanned the spectrum! I remember spending all of my birthday money on a large "Liz Claiborne" purse! Ridiculous!! Nowadays, it is Target or garage sales for purses!

BTW, I think the pens put you in the nerdy catagory more than the CD selection :-) I love you anyway though!! And if I had pretty handwritting like yours, I bet I would care more about pens too.

Heidi said...

I bought a LOT of books, movies and CDs too...even if I liked just one song...that's why I love itunes. I know I bought tons of clothes too. I bought lots of hose too. Which now, I would like to buy lots of tights and hose, but I can't stand the thought of paying for things that last just a few wears.
I think one thing I spent a LOT of money one was gas...because I would go anywhere at anytime. I remember that being a talking to also about how I was wasting money...now I see.

Tara said...

Ok, this cracked me up! I didn't realize the obsession with the tooth brush but I remember the cool pens. You always had nice ones. :-) I'm nervous about after I get married that the first thing to go will be my monthly massages. Brian doesn't think they're necessary! haha

Oh and I still to this day have you to thank for knowing all the songs from Les Miserable by heart! haha