At the end of December, Matt and I sat down and put together a new budget...not my favorite activity...but a necessary one. So, we were looking at the different categories and trying to see where we could cut back. We looked at the grocery budget and I said, "Well, lets cut it back $100 and see if we can do that".
I'm happy to say that this past month, we did it under the amount we allotted!! Woo Hoo!!! One of the ways I've done this is by making a meal options list for most of the days of the month. Then by going grocery shopping one time at the beginning of the month. I try to get everything I need to make any of those meals. Then I just run in and get a couple things I need later like milk, eggs and maybe a few vegetables or fruit. It takes some organization but it's worth it when I'm able to save over $100 a month!
The other way that has been SO fun, is figuring out what I can make from scratch.
One that I just did was make our own granola. I LOVE granola but when I look at the price I have to pass it by. So, I went looking for a good recipe. I found one that sounded good, that wasn't over the top in sugariness and then tweaked it from there...cuz I just can't seem to follow a recipe exactly if there is wiggle room :) . And it turned out so good! I love it and can't wait to see what other ways I can tweak it in the future!
Here's my version of the recipe
Yummy Granola
4 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of sliced almonds
1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds
1 cup of chopped pecans
1/4 cup of canola oil
3/4 cup of honey (if you want a more "clumpy" granola add more)
1 tsp of vanilla
1 TB ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl stir together the oats, almonds, sunflower seeds and pecans.
3. In a small bowl mix the oil, honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Add it to the dry mixture and mix well. Make sure everything is coated and then spread it out onto 2 ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and stir. Return to the oven and continue baking for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden.
5. Remove from the oven pour back into the large bowl and stir in the raisins. Pour out on parchment paper to cool. Cool completely before storing.
Enjoy!!


10 comments:
that sounds as good as it looks!
thanks for the recipe! we´ll try that.
Sanne
sounds so yummy! i should try this...i love granola so much i always say yes to it! :)
I might have to try this...thanks for the idea!
awesome job on the budget!! and that granola looks amazing. :)
Your budget has inspired me!!!! And yummy looking granola!
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You KNOW I'm totally PUMPED about this food post!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!! And great pictures.
ahh granola!! Love the stuff and we make our own too. I love our recipe that I use. Got it from a Tennessee friend. Might have to try yours sometimes. I can send you mine if you ever want it:).
Thanks everyone!! And Sandra I'd love to try yours!
I'd love a copy of your monthly meal options! I've been doing weekly menus, but I like the idea of shopping essentially once a month!
This looks yummy! I have such a hard time finding granola recipes I enjoy, so I'm definitely giving this a shot! We have been trying to make more from scratch and menu plan as well... but we are also adding in more organic items so I'm not doing so hot in reducing our spending. :/ Good job with your budget!
I'd also love to have a copy of you monthly options. I always like new ideas. Oh, and the granola looks amazing!!
blaregerber@hotmail.com
Post a Comment